At St Martin’s we strive to give every child the opportunity to grow and develop into successful life long learners. We believe that children thrive when they feel happy, safe and secure and as such we work in partnership with families and carers to provide nurturing and stable relationships to help children flourish in those early years.
Throughout our school we use the language of the ‘Learning Flowers’ (Characteristics of effective learning) with the children to help them to understand that it’s not just what they are learning that is important but how they are as learners. As you walk around our provision you will hear adults noticing and naming what the children have done, and probing their thinking through clear questioning so each child has the guidance to take the next important steps in their own learning journey.
St Martin’s places play at the heart of everything we do in the Early Years, believing that children learn best when they are playing alongside their peers supported by trusted adults and develop at their own rate. We place great pride in our school environment and use our extensive facilities to offer exciting opportunities to our children.
Our curriculum in Early Years is designed to provide a broad and balanced education that meets the needs of all pupils. It facilitates them to gain the skills, knowledge and understanding, as they start out on their educational journey, supporting them to progress from their individual starting points and preparing them for the next stage of their education.
- Communication and Language.
At St. Martin’s we believe that a child’s communication and language skills are the foundation from which they build their future learning. It is because of this we place great emphasis on securing confidence and competency in these skills during a child’s early years of schooling.
Outside and inside LEAP provision – Physical development in children is vital to enable them to be successful learners. At St. Martins we are proud of the provision that we can offer our children both inside and outside the classroom. As educators we look at each childs’ physical development and ensure that we provide them with a mixture of broad and varied opportunities to develop skills and confidence. For more information on progression of early skills please see ‘Core Subject skills progression in the EYFS’
- Forest School -weekly, through all seasons. Weekly Forest School sessions are run for children in early years; these support a range of skills and develop their social interactions. All seven areas of learning are encompassed within these sessions and allow all children to take risks in an unpredictable environment whilst developing leadership skills and promoting mental health and wellbeing. We have a dedicated space to run these sessions and the Early Years setting has a trained ‘Forest Schools’ teacher.
- High quality phonics is taught daily throughout EYFS. We follow the Letters and Sounds document and supplement it with the use of Jolly Phonics to aid recognition and to offer a multi sensory approach.
- The maths curriculum is taught through daily dedicated sessions. These sessions are carefully planned using concrete resources and build on prior learning and real life experiences across the theme and year. We want our children to become confident mathematicians who can apply what they have learnt to real life experiences.
- Pupils have opportunities to share their learning with their parents and carers through Tapestry.
We believe that the impact of our EYFS curriculum enables children to build secure foundations on which to continue their future learning. By placing language and communication at the very heart of everything we do our children flourish into confident, inquisitive, independent learners. They build strong and caring relationships with each other and develop a sense of responsibility in enabling us all to be the best we can be. Through our effective communications with parents and carers, we work together to support each step of their child’s learning journey and celebrate each milestone along the way.